My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Current reading

"I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked: it was a wise man, and it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

"Why do nice women marry dull men?"
"Because intelligent men won't marry nice women."

"With the superciliousness of extreme youth, I put thirty-five as the utmost limit at which a man might fall in love without making a fool of himself."

"... the besetting sin of woman, the passion to discuss her private affairs with anyone who is willing to listen."

"An appeal to the emotions is little likely to be effectual before luncheon. My own thoughts were then constantly occupied with love, but I never could imagine conubial bliss till after tea."

from The Moon and Sixpence
by W. Somerset Maugham

This in the first forty pages. I need to stop or I'll never finish the book. Of Human Bondage seems to be generally acknowledged as his masterpiece. It's certainly his greatest achievement in terms of length. I enjoyed that and The Magician and I'm enjoying The Moon and Sixpence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home