My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Monday, August 01, 2005

Nob Hill Cigar is no more

A couple of days before we left on our trip, I'd plotted the location of several cigar stores in San Francisco. The nearest one to our hotel looked to be Nob Hill Cigar.

I left the hotel around 8am before my daughter was up and going and started climbing the hill in the direction I hoped was east. What a joy to be walking on city streets again after living in Houston for so long. H-Town has it's good side but a vibrant downtown urban scene is not one of them, despite what you'll hear from the people who want to sell you a purpose built downtown "loft".

I zigged and zagged, east and north and east and south, just enjoying the hell out of the people on the streets, the apartment building doorways, the weather, the weirdos, the corner grocery stores with fresh fruit and cut flowers spilling out onto the side walk, the smoke shops squeezed into half a store front with a service laundry.

I sought directions from a hotel concierge and so finally found Nob Hill Cigar on the corner of Sutter and Taylor. It looks like it used to be a very nice cigar store. Looking through the doors I saw glass fronted display cases all the way back, all now empty.

I'd brought a couple of smokes with me--two was all I thought I could get away with on a trip with my daughter--but I wanted to get a hold of a DryMistat humidification device to keep them in good condition. I tried a couple of other cigar stores without any luck and then gave up. I didn't want to turn the search into too much of a project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home